The Association of Genetic Technologists:
The Organization for Cytogenetic & Molecular Professionals
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR ELECTED POSITIONS
AGT announces open positions for election in 2018. All nominees must be AGT members in good standing.
The deadline for nominations is April 15, 2018.
Term of Office: 4 years*
Qualifications and Duties: This position requires organizational skills, good verbal and written communication skills, and a sincere interest in AGT and its members. Nominees must have served either on the Board of Directors or Council of Representatives.
The first two years as President-Elect provide a learning phase as assistant to the President in office. In the third and fourth years, as Chief Executive Officer of AGT, the major responsibilities are:
- organizing and directing Board of Directors’ meetings;
- communicating regularly with Board members regarding finances, projects and policies; and,
- working with AGT’s Executive Office to ensure deadlines and contractual obligations are met. If elected, travel to the annual meeting of the Board of Directors is required at your expense.
* There are three years left in this term, one as President-Elect and two as President.
SECRETARY / TREASURER
Term of Office: 3 years
Qualifications and Duties: This position monitors all AGT monies and is responsible for insuring that accurate and complete financial records are maintained for all financial transactions. Duties include: 1) review all invoices prepared by the Executive Office; 2) review the monthly Financial Statements with budget summary that is prepared by the Executive Office; and, 3) review monthly investment reports. A financial summary should be submitted by the Secretary/Treasurer to the Board for inclusion in all Board teleconference meetings. The Secretary/Treasurer works with the Executive Office to develop the Annual Budget for submission to the Board at the Annual Meeting. The Secretary/Treasurer is responsible for assuring that all Minutes of all meetings of the Board, Council of Representatives and Membership Information are recorded and properly stored for review and future reference needs. If elected, travel to the annual meeting of the Board of Directors is required at your expense.
Term of Office: 3 years
Qualifications and Duties: The position of Director requires good organizational skills and an ability to coordinate duties and deadlines with AGT’s Executive Office. If elected, travel to the annual meeting of the Board of Directors is required at your expense.
- Annual Meeting Co-Director: Works with the Executive Office, the Annual Meeting Director, and Annual Meeting Committee to plan an annual meeting program. Responsibilities include developing the meeting content and schedule in accordance with the needs of the membership; enlisting speakers for scientific sessions and for workshops; developing an exhibitor prospectus and recruiting vendors and sponsors accordingly; arranging marketing and publicity to promote the meeting; and coordinating social events. The Annual Meeting Co-Director actively serves as a point-of-contact for speakers, exhibitors, and attendees throughout the meeting. Candidates should have a broad network of contacts in cytogenetics and molecular genetics laboratories. Candidates should be regular attendees of the AGT Annual Meeting and should be familiar with the educational needs of the organization.
- The position of 2019 Annual Meeting Co-Director requires good organizational and communication skills. In addition, an ability to coordinate duties and deadlines with the Annual Meeting Director and with AGT’s Executive Office is imperative. The 2019 Meeting Co-Director will co-chair the 2019 Annual Meeting and will chair the 2020 and 2021 Annual Meetings. If elected, travel to the annual meeting of the Board of Directors is required at your expense.
- Education Director: Responsible for activities related to the educational needs of the Association and its members including writing or finding education committee members to write and score Webinar post-tests, Test Yourselves and Journal Clubs. Reviews requests for CEUs for educational programs offered regionally, including assigning CEUs. Helps to arrange speakers for webinars; moderates or finds moderators for webinars (at least 6 per year). Candidates must be Board of Certification (BOC)-certified in cytogenetics or molecular biology. Candidates need to be familiar with issues related to cytogenetics and molecular genetics. Knowledge of test item construction is essential, and familiarity with the Board of Certification and the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences and the formal educational programs is an advantage. There are often strict timeframes and deadlines that must be met.
- Public Relations Director: Responsibilities include promotional activities and public relations of the Association. Interaction with those involved with membership, education, and the Board of Certification is strongly encouraged. The Director disseminates information about how to obtain membership, regional meetings, local seminars and workshops, particularly events relating to certification, and all other activities of the organization. The Director will interact with other related organizations as necessary to maintain AGT’s presence in the Genetics community. The Director will promote arrangements to have AGT publicized at other association’s meetings and in their journals. The Director reviews the results of each salary and staffing survey developed by AGT and compiles the information into an article that is available in the Journal of the Association of Genetic Technologists and for sale to non-members. The Director ensures the AGT web site is up-to-date and serves as the administrator for AGT’s social networking sites. The Director will assist in the creation, and review of all external communications to AGT members and interested parties.
Apply online no later than April 15, 2018.