How can you go about building a good relationship with an elected official?
Here are several “How To's:
- Communicate with your elected official through a variety of methods -- visits, telephone calls, emails and letters.
- Be an information source for your official. Provide him or her with helpful, factual information about the clinical laboratory science profession.
- Attend and express your views at candidate meetings and “town meetings” hosted by the candidate.
- Work on the campaigns of and vote for those candidates whose views most closely resemble your own.
- Contribute money to your chosen candidates, and volunteer for their finance committees.
- Remember that developing a friendship or close working relationship with an elected official is like developing such a relationship with any other business or community leader.
- Make your watchword: "How can I help?"
Government 101 Contents: